Use and Importance of Computers in Education Essay
1639 WordsMay 7th, 20117 Pages
Use and Importance of Computers in Education
Many technological advances have been made throughout history making life easier, one of which is the computer. Computers have changed the world, as a lot of things can now be done through computers. Computers are everywhere at school, at work, and at home. Many daily activities either involve the use of or depend on information from a computer. Over the past decade, the number of schools with computer and the Internet access has grown exponentially, and the number of children going online from school has followed suit.
The first computer Atanasoff Berry Computer (ABC) was developed in 1942. Historians divide the history of the modern computer into generations, beginning with the…show more content…
Kids with special needs can use alternative input and output devices (assistive technologies) to interact with computers and do things that they normally could not accomplish independently. They benefit especially from having access to an on-demand, patient tutor that allows them to work at their own pace.
Computers improve both teaching and student achievement. Across the world children have entered a passionate and enduring love affair with the computer. Thus, when used for educational programs, what attracts the children most is not the beauty of or interests in the content being learned, but these are video effects of the computer. It is a great need that children and young people have to learn computers now otherwise they will fall behind in their future search for professional jobs and career.
Computers these days have become so easy to use and learn. The online tutorials are becoming so powerful that any one will be able to learn how to use computers very fast at any age. The use of computers will be part of on-the-job training, provided by the enterprises themselves. It is a fact that many adults are afraid of computers, but the person will not be the case with children who were born after the introduction of personal computers.
As of today, more than 70 percent of colleges offer some sorts of distance learning classes. Distance learning makes students independent. Not only distance learning, computer based teaching itself is also very
What is a computer? A computer is an electronic device that receives and processes information to produce the desired results.
It plays an important role in our lives. Our life has become centered around computers and computerized systems.
Various Parts of a Computer: The various parts of a computer includes a system unit, monitor, keyboard, electronic-mouse, printer, speakers, CD drive, etc.
1. System Unit: The system unit is the most important part of the computer. The system unit houses the CPU (microprocessor), hard disk, random access memory (RAM), motherboard, etc.
- The CPU processes the information.
- RAM stores the temporary information while the system is on. It removes the data as soon as the system is switched off.
- Hard Disk stores the saved information is stored on the hard disk.
- The Mother Board connects and allows communication between various units of of the computer.
2. Monitor: It displays the information. Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) monitors are very bulky. Liquid crystal display (LCD) monitors are thin and light.
3. Keyboard: Letters and numbers are keyed into the computer system through the keyboard.
4. Mouse: It points the cursor and is used in selecting an icon on the screen.
The other components of a computer system includes speakers, modem, printers, etc.
Computers can quickly process huge amount of data. Computers can complete various tasks more effectively than most human-beings. It has automated complex tasks that were once considered boring and tedious for humans. Hence, Computer has greatly increased our efficiency to do various tasks. The advantages of computer is given below:
- Stores data in digital format: Computers can store millions of pages of information in digital format.
- Huge storage: We can store huge information. The present day hard-disks can store 100s of Gigabytes (GB) of information. Large businesses store their marketing and sales data in their computer systems. Even sensitive data of customers are securely protected in a computerized environment.
- Play games: When it comes to games, the choices are almost unlimited.
- Calculations: Businesses are increasingly using spreadsheets and other software as a tool for performing mathematical calculations.
- Prepare and store official documents: You can use a word processing software to prepare, edit and save any text document. The concept of paperless offices is finally taking its shape. excel- calculations
- Presentations: If your office demands that you prepare presentations, you can prepare it in a PowerPoint.
- Internet: You can connect your computer to Internet and browse through huge data. People use internet for various purposes. Students can use internet to download study materials. A research analyst can do market research over internet. A marketing person can gather relevant data across various geographical boundaries. A prospective customer can find a service provider over internet.
- Multimedia: Computer can also be used as an entertainment device. We can play various multimedia applications such as music, video, etc.
- Prepare books of accounts: With the help of accounting software, we can prepare our books of accounts.
- Reduced cost: The introduction of computer has resulted into a reduction of cost to perform various complicated tasks.
It is true that even computer is not free from defects. The disadvantages of computer is given below:
- Ever changing technology: The technology that is new today, may soon become obsolete. We need to regularly upgrade the hardware and software in a computerized environment. This involves additional time and cost.
- Increased manpower cost: The computer needs to be operated by skilled person. This has led to an increase in manpower cost for organizations. Due to the inherent risks, huge expenditure are made ensure data security.
- Computer stops responding: At times the operating system of the computer may stop responding or functioning. Though this problem is generally solved by restarting the computer, but sometimes you may have to take the support of the technician.
- Viruses: The threat of virus and malware attack always remains in the computerized environment. To cope up with these risks, various anti-virus software are available in the market. If you are using a good antivirus, you are almost sure that your private information and other sensitive data are secured.
- Reduction in employment opportunity: The introduction of computers has negatively impacted the employability of computer illiterate people.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and ArticlesTagged With: Science and Technology